12 Foods You Can Eat Everyday To Safely Whiten Your Teeth
Good oral hygiene is a personal responsibility and maintaining white teeth can be a bit challenging. Luckily, there are many ways to whiten your teeth. You can use toothpaste, mouthwash, and even special treatments, but there is one great natural way to whiten your teeth, and that is by eating certain foods.
There are many foods to help improve the quality of your teeth. Some foods naturally clean your teeth, others help whiten or strengthen them which can allow them look much healthier.
Here is a list of 12 food items you can safely eat to get whiter teeth:
1. Apples — Help whiten your teeth. The malic acid in apples is a natural astringent that helps break down plaque, remove stains and discoloration.
2. Broccoli — Broccoli is high in Iron which can help protect teeth from harmful bacteria, stains, and acid erosion. Also, its high in vitamin C which helps brighten teeth.
3. Celery — Chewing celery can help to massage gums and remove food particles from teeth due to its ability to help you make extra saliva. Saliva helps prevent plaque stains from developing and sticking to teeth.
4. Strawberries — Strawberries are rich in citric acid which helps remove stains from teeth. For best results, mash up a few strawberries and brush them onto your teeth with a toothbrush.
Important Note: The strawberries must be used daily to have whitening effects. Studies show that after one hour of usage the whitening of the tooth doesn’t last.
5. Water — Water helps lower the acid levels in your mouth during or after eating to help reduce the chances of foods staining your teeth and damaging your tooth enamel. Just try to avoid drinking sparkling water because it increases tooth surface erosion.
6. Orange Peels — Oranges is a very good alternative to nonfood teeth whiteners. Orange is rich in citric acid which helps to remove stains from teeth. Rub the inside of an orange peel onto your tooth for the best results.
7. Pineapple — Pineapples are great for oral health due to their high content of Vitamin C and Bromelain enzymes. Bromelain helps to break down plaque and bacteria, while Vitamin C helps to brighten teeth. Simply eat a few slices of pineapple or brush with pineapple juice for the best results.
8. Watermelon — Watermelon is great for your teeth. It has more malic acid than strawberries, and Malic acid helps whiten teeth and promote saliva. Also, watermelon’s high water content helps rinse away any surface stains on your teeth, and its vitamin C helps to fight off gum disease.
9. Papaya — Papaya contains an enzyme called papain, which is known for its ability to remove stains from teeth.
To use papaya to whiten your teeth, simply rub a slice of papaya on your teeth for two minutes. Rinse your mouth with water and brush your teeth as usual. You can do this once a day until you see the desired results.
10. Mushrooms — Mushrooms contain a fiber called Chitin. Chitin binds to tooth enamel to help remove stains, and there are a few different ways to use mushrooms to whiten your teeth. You can rub a mushroom on your teeth and let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing, make a paste out of mushrooms and water to use as toothpaste, or eat them cooked or raw.
11. Basil — Basil is a natural astringent that helps remove stains from your teeth. It contains an ingredient called eugenol, which is a powerful agent in the fight against tooth discoloration, and acetic acid, which is a natural bleaching agent.
Simply rub a fresh basil leaf on your teeth for a minute or two, then brush your teeth as usual. Or chew on a few leaves of the herb each day. You can also make a paste by mixing basil leaves with water and brushing your teeth with it. For best results, do this twice a day.
12. Oil — Oil pulling is a process of swishing oil in your mouth for up to 20 minutes and spitting it out in the garbage. This method can be done with coconut oil, sesame oil, sunflower oil or avocado oil to brighten your smile. You can also brush your teeth with the oil.
If you are wondering why cheese, yogurt, lemon or vinegar, or any other food item is not on the list. It’s because we wanted to create a list of safe foods everyone can use every day. Cheese is commonly known to clean and whiten teeth but cheese, as well as yogurt and pickles, contains lactic acid.
Lactic acid is a type of acid that is produced by our bodies when we exercise. It can be beneficial in small amounts but too much of it can lead to cavities, and untreated cavities can cause pain and infection.
To prevent cavities caused by lactic acid, it’s important to avoid sugary foods and drinks and brush and floss regularly, especially after a workout session. You can also rinse your mouth with water to remove any plaque that may have formed. If you have a history of cavities, or if you are concerned about the lactic acid build-up, talk to your dentist about ways to protect your teeth.
You can see why we created list and why it’s important to know what foods are best for the job. Hopefully, this list can help improve your oral health.
Written By The Resource Manual
The Resource Manual publishes resourceful articles on the topic of personal, health, love, finance, well-being, and business. Our goal is to provide valuable resources to help others navigate through life more smoothly.